Sunday, June 12, 2011

Pre-shaved Yaks.

I wanted a way to keep track of bugs in my Android Game (I know, I promised a big reveal, it's really soon). I'm getting to the point that I have tons of loose ends and TODO's that I wanted collected in a central location. I am a one man dev team, so I thought I'd keep it simple and just use a spreadsheet. That fell apart before I really got started. I once worked on a project, right out of college, a long time ago, that used a spreadsheet in source control to track bugs. It was as bad as it sounds.

Anyways, there are a number of open source bug tracking systems out there. Almost all are web based. I'm not a web-developer. Every time I try to do something that involves setting up a web server, it's a frustrating exercise in shaving yaks.



So this afternoon, I thought I'd give it another shot, I *really* wanted a bug tracking solution. I chose Mantis, since it's open source and bills itself as an easy to use and setup PHP app. After spending a couple hours trying to get my home server's IIS to play nice with PHP, I was about to give up. It's so frustrating to get a "page not found" error when I navigate to my mantis install, and not have a clue about what is wrong. I'm sure anyone who's spent even a couple months as a web developer might know tricks to diagnose the problem. I just want a bug tracker, I don't want to have to spend time learning how PHP or IIS work.

Unless it's the focus of my self education, if I cant double-click and install something and hit the ground running, I'm not interested.

Enter : http://bitnami.org/stacks. I downloaded the complete Bitnami Mantis stack, double clicked the installer, answered a few questions about ports and admin user, and I was up and running in 10 minutes. Beautiful!

There also exists an eclipse mylin connector plugin, so you can view Mantis issues in eclipse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome you're thoughts. Keep it classy, think of the children.